As Fall is upon us, and the weather takes its seasonal turn, it’s important to take a walk around your house and check out the condition of your roof. Regular inspection and maintenance of your roof is vital to ensure that it’s performing at its best by keeping moisture out, remaining energy efficient, and still adding to the beauty of your home.
There are some obvious indicators that your roof needs attention, which can be detected by simply walking around your home and taking notes. As always, you’re best off calling a professional like RIHI, but looking at your roof can help make the most out of an appointment you schedule with an expert. So, what are the signs you may need a new roof? RIHI put together a checklist to help you get started:
- Know the age of your roof because, after as little as 15 years, your roof’s performance can start to decline and open the door for serious problems like allowing water to get into your home.
- Look for any missing or damaged shingles (such as granule loss on the shingle) as this can cause moisture to get inside your home and cause problems like mold and mildew growth
- Keep an eye out for shingles that have buckled or curled up which signal that your roof is not properly vented and once again putting your home at risk of damage from weather rel.
- Look for areas where leaves have piled up, or there is a growth of moss or algae, all of which have a reputation for causing leaks and water damage
- If you can access your attic, you can check the ceiling for any water stains which is a good indication that your roof’s performance has been compromised
- Finally, as a good maintenance practice keep your gutters clear of all debris as this can lead to damage, especially during the winter by causing ice dams.
Once you complete your walk around go ahead and review your notes. If you’ve identified any of these issues from the checklist, make a call to a roofing expert. Since 1949, RIHI has been replacing roofs for homeowners all over New England, we can help you determine how best to address your roofing needs. And as an exclusive Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Partner, we offer the highest quality in product, installation, and warranty.