The weather is warming, the days are getting longer and that first BBQ get-together is just around the corner. But before you let Spring Fever gain full control, you’ll want to get your home back in shape for the season. Like your car, maintaining your home will pay dividends now and down the road. And as we are jumping into April, now is a perfect time.
If you are wondering where to start, RIHI is here to help by providing you with a checklist of items that will help you get started. Some things you will be able to do and inspect yourself and others you may need to call on the help of a professional. Let’s look at some of the things you can do and inspect, inside and outside of your home.
- Change the filter(s) on your heating/cooling system to ensure they are running as cleanly and efficiently as possible.
- Trim bushes and clear brush from around your outside air conditioning unit.
- Make sure your sump pump is in working order.
- Check your basement for moisture or cracks in the foundation.
- Inspect your screens for holes and tears to keep unwanted pests out of your home.
- Look at the air ducts around the house to see if there is any build-up of dust and debris.
- Clean any debris from foundation vents and window wells.
- Trim trees and shrubs near the house to prevent damage to siding, windows, and roofs.
- Pressure wash outdoor furniture, siding, patios, decks, driveways, and walkways.
- Inspect gutters and downspouts for damage/blockage from a buildup of leaves and twigs.
- Inspect caulking from around windows and doors to ensure your home is properly sealed.
- Inspect wooden decks and wooden window frames for rot and peeling paint
- Inspect sprinkler heads for damage or leaks
- Inspect and tune-up lawn equipment like mowers and trimmers, charge batteries, and replace old gas.
Regular home maintenance is simple and can help you avoid unexpected problems and potentially costly repairs. It will also help you to set your budget more accurately for any repairs or improvements you would like to complete. And finally, keeping your home finely tuned inside and out assures you are enjoying your home to its fullest, so your biggest decision is to serve which rose’ and IPA to serve to your guests.